When you enter an empty auditorium and see a stage set, just waiting for a big event, it can be exhilarating. For young students, the excitement and nerves that surround a spelling bee, orchestral performance or class play are often magnified by the thought of climbing up on a stage in front of their peers and family. The memories born from these experiences often last a lifetime.
If your school is lacking a permanent stage, it’s still possible to create a great performance space. Portable stages and risers make it easy to turn any cafeteria, gymnasium or lobby into just the venue you need.
With so many options for custom configurations, shopping for portable stages and risers can be confusing. Here are a few things to keep in mind before you buy.
1) What type of performance space do you want to create? Almost any configuration is possible. Our staging experts are happy to help you choose just the right portable stages, seated risers or standing choral risers.
2) You have options when it comes to deck surfaces. Sometimes a basic hardboard deck will do. However, if your performers will be moving around a lot, a carpeted deck will help minimize noise. Polypropylene decks are durable, non-slip and water resistant (though not entirely waterproof) and work well for outdoor assemblies.
3) Which height should you choose? When deciding which height stage or riser to buy, it’s important to consider the size of the room you’ll be using them in, the ceiling height of the room and the age of the performers.
4) Do you need a mobile or simply portable solution? Portable stages and risers fold up easily for storage, but can require a dolly to move around. Mobile stages and risers feature built-in wheels that negate the need for a dolly; however, mobile options are often more expensive than portable models.
5) Accessories can enhance the safety and appearance of your stages and risers. Depending on the stage and riser combination you choose, accessories like steps and guardrails may be necessary. Stage skirting can also provide a very finished, cohesive look while hiding your stage’s legs.
Whether you’re planning for a music recital, graduation or spring play, be sure to check out our portable stages and risers buying guide before you order. If you’d like personalized assistance, don’t hesitate to contact our team of experts at 1-800-260-2776 – they’re always ready to help.